Tuesday, September 28, 2010

100 Shots (of a plant)


Last week's Creative Imaging assignment was a bit of a challenge! We were told to choose one object and photograph it in a hundred different ways. Yeah. It's harder than it sounds.

I chose one of my houseplants for my object, thinking the different details in something like that (flowers, leaves, stem, pot) would be helpful for this project. And they were - but I still ran out of ideas about 3/4 of the way through. I snapped away happily for the first 40 or so shots, struggled a bit for the next 40, and by the time I had only the last end of the assignment left, I never wanted to look at that stupid plant again (I've since forgiven the plant for its part in all of this).

I think perhaps a lot of people really hated this assignment, but I actually didn't. I was definitely relieved when I finished all 100 shots, but I really felt like I had learned something. It was a good exercise to try to see something new in the same object through a whole hundred photographs, and even though it was a challenge, I felt satisfied when I was done. I know that not all of my shots were great or successful or maybe even that different from each other, but in the end I did feel like I had thought about "seeing" in a new way and had a better idea of all the different ways there are of seeing a subject. I'd actually recommend trying this assignment to any aspiring photographer!

No comments:

Post a Comment